Saturday, February 27, 2016

Day 17: Re-purposing at it's best!!

We have some new neighbors that just moved into the trees behind us. They are peaceful little creatures that can get a little loud sometimes, but we don't really mind that. They are amazing musicians who produce the sweetest of music. They are majestic and very beautiful; they are mesmerizing!

They are also very very hungry! We have a little bird-feeder and bird-bath and we keep them stocked up pretty well, usually. But we've seen lately that it's just not enough and we had to do something about it. However, on this particular day, a trip to the local bird-feeder retailer was not in the plan.

The Hubs put his creative hat on, looked around the house and the yard for a solution and came up with this little gem of a solution. All you need is:

 - an empty juice bottle to hold the seeds
 - a lid from a laundry detergent container to create the dinner plates
 - twigs from the yard and twine to connect them all together to create the perches

Just get your knife and get creative with this project. I'm not going to give you a "how-to" DIY video here. I think, if you are the type of person to venture out on this activity, you probably can figure out how it all goes together. I have no problem admitting that I would have just hopped in the car to go purchase a new, bigger feeder. But I will also admit that I'm always very impressed with my family's creativity and desire to re-purpose household items for the greater good.

It took our little neighbors a few hours to figure out what the new contraption was. But once the word got out, there has been a constant flow of customers. I think I hear them singing "Thank You Very Much" right now!

And here's a beautiful cardinal helping himself to the spillage! This is the best part about the start of Spring, in my opinion!!


No comments:

Post a Comment